Attribute Filter Collapse in Magento
Shopping filters collapsed navigation Mod
- One of the features of using Stock in the Channel Data in your Magento store is that we export category specific filters and values which allow your customers to refine the results when they are navigating your category structure.
- Category specific filters (shopping filters) change depending which type of product you are looking at, so for a Hard drive the filters could include – read / Write speed, size of drive, etc,whilst on Notebooks it could be the size of the screen and the processor family etc.
- Some Categories include a large number of filters which whilst very useful, can start to look messy on the page as the list of filter values can be longer than the list of displayed products (determined by your Magento display settings you have set)
- A solution to this is to copy a series of files to your Magento install and make a small edit in one of the files so that by default the shopping categories are all collapsed but can be expanded upon by selecting the filter or clicking a little + or – sign
- To begin, extract the files contained in Filter Collapse.rar to your local machine
- Copy the content up to your Magento root folder via FTP and merge the files. NOTE: If you are asked if you wish to overwrite a file the answer is no!! (this would indicate that you already have a file controlling your layout and you will need to add the content to your existing file rather than replacing the entire file) if unsure seek help from a developer.
- Once the files are copied to your server, in your Magento backend you need to flush all the Caches à System/Cache Management (4 buttons in all – wait until Magento confirms that each is flushed before proceeding to the next)
- In most instances this is all you need to do and you should now see the new layout on the frontend in category view
- If your left bar is narrow its possible that the +/- signs are outside of the allowed area
- If this is the case you need to open the following path on your FTP server
- **Magento root**/skin/frontend/default/default/css à Sinch-styles.css
- Open the file in any editor
- Reduce the value on line 8 of the file and re-upload the file. Repeat until you are happy with the layout